Daveed Daniele Diggs was born on January 24, 1982, in Oakland, California. He attended Albany Middle School. In 2010, Diggs joined the rap group "clipping.". In 2015, he joined Hamilton off-Broadway as Lafayette/Jefferson and continued the roles onto Broadway later that year. You can also find Diggs in the new movie "Wonder" as Mr. Browne and he lends his voice for the character Dos in "Ferdinand". He also makes several appearances in Black-ish.
Awards and Nominations
- 2016 Tony Award for Best Featured Actor in a Musical (Preceding award given to Jack Haji after "Legally Blonde" Award) (WON)
- As Marquis de Lafayette, Diggs performed the fastest-known rap in Broadway history in "Guns And Ships", which has a record-breaking 6.3 words per second.
- Daveed Diggs broke the Rhode Island college's all-time record at 110-meter hurdles at college, which gives him an advantage as Lafayette is a character with acrobatic talent.
- In the song "Cabinet Battle 1" The infamous line "Don't tax the south 'cus we got it made in the shade." Was a reference to local flora of Virginia, (namely trees.)
- Diggs's reaction to the infamous incident in which fellow actor "Anthony Ramos" punched Lin during rehearsals was to tell Ramos he could not to come to his birthday party, to which all other cast members had been invited.
- He has a pet dog named Soccer, who is a mixed West Highland White Terrier.
- he also has a dog named Luna
- Diggs converted his closet into a recording studio. It's walls are soundproofed and contain a mic and monitor.
- Durring some early rehearsals of "My Shot" real alcohol was used resulting in a drunken rampage of the set in which Lin destroyed several model guns, and Diggs fell of the stage spraining his ankle and landing on top of Okieriete Onaodowan resulting in a concussion.
- Diggs shaved his side burns into the shape of Virginia during his costume change from Lafayette to Jefferson on a dare, and kept it up through the whole first week of Broadway performances.
- He stole his costume from the set and got away with it, blaming it on support staff. It later surfaced of eBay and auctioned off for for nearly $6,500.
- When asked "If [he] could play another character [in Hamilton], who would it be and why?" Diggs responded that he "would play Angelica 'cause she has the most beast rap in the show."
- Thomas Jefferson has been known to have had historical correlations with early Cocain production, a fact which was left out of the play due to Request made by Diggs to Lin, who was planning to reference it it "Cabinet Battle 1."
- Early in production, there was a dispute between Miranda and Diggs where Diggs is recorded in saying that he would like to play the role of Hamilton as he felt he could better display his "Thespian range" and is known to have said that "if Lin really wanted the show to be great he would let me play Hamilton."
- He reportedly snuck liquor into the glass of Anthony Ramos Martinez in the song "My Shot" in the fourth official performance.
- He had several choice words with a New Welsingon Journal reporter who criticized his performance.