Peggy Schuyler's first appearance is with her sisters, Elizabeth Schuyler and Angelica Schuyler, as they sing of the Revolution; Angelica in hopes to give women more equal rights. Peggy is immediately portrayed as a rule-follower, always doubting whether the sisters should be out in the excitement while they were supposed to be at home at their father's serious instructions. Later on, she is seen hugging her sisters and Hamilton following Eliza's engagement to him. Hamilton also mentions that Peggy has begun to confide in him. Years later, however, Peggy Schuyler passes away at a young age due to an illness, and as such makes no appearance in Act Two. She married Stephen Van Rensselaer III, therefore making her full name Margarita Schuyler Van Rensselaer.
Jasmine Cephas Jones originated the role of Peggy Schuyler.
- In reality, Peggy was actually known as very quick-witted and sarcastic.
- Peggy Schuyler, in reality, during a British raid in the Schuyler Mansion, ran downstairs to save her newborn sister, Catherine. She was caught and asked where her father was, though she lied for the answer, and legend says a soldier threw a tomahawk at her and missed, and that the mark is still there.
- She married a distant cousin, Stephen Van Rensselaer III.
- She died at the age of 42 from a common cold.
- Alexander was the only person present when she died.
- In fact, she was very close to Alexander, a fact referenced in the musical when he says "Peggy confides in me."