Philip was born to Elizabeth Schuyler and Alexander Hamilton on January 22, 1782. Hamilton sings of his love for his newborn son and the life he hopes to provide for Philip ("Dear Theodosia").
Alexander decides to work at home for some time so he can see his son for the first time since he has grown up. At dinner, Philip presents to Alexander a short poem he composed himself, briefly reciting numbers in French that he learned from his mother that impresses his father. After Hamilton says he cannot accompany the family on their trip uptown, Philip travels with Eliza and his aunt Angelica Schuyler ("Take A Break").
Philip is briefly seen when his grandfather Philip Schuyler was overtaken of his seat in the Senate by Aaron Burr, and exclaims his surprise, wondering if his father knew yet, which Alexander did ("Schuyler Defeated").
Years pass, and Philip graduates King's College in 1801 at the age of 19. Soon thereafter, he comes across a gentleman by the name of George Eacker putting down Philip's father in public. Philip's friend immediately challenges the man to a duel; no party was wounded, but it came out as a draw. Philip then confronted Eacker himself. The duel results in a misfire, and Philip is mortally shot by his opponent ("Blow Us All Away").
As he is on his deathbed, he is surrounded by his mother and father, where he is seen saying his last goodbyes before his death ("Stay Alive (Reprise)").
- Jordan Fisher assumed the role from Anthony Ramos on November 22, 2016.
- Anthony Lee Medina assumed the role from Jordan Fisher on March 7, 2017.
- Philip Hamilton is played by the same actor who plays John Laurens in every production of Hamilton
- Philip Hamilton/John Laurens is one of four major dual roles in the musical.
- However Philip Hamilton and John Laurens is the only dual role in the musical where both characters died on stage.
- Philip was very close to his younger sister Angelica Hamilton.
- This same Angelica Hamilton went insane after his death, unable to handle the trauma. To this day her exact condition is still unknown.